With a budget of nearly €7 billion for 2007 to 2013, the programme funds a range of actions including exchanges, study visits and networking activities. Projects are intended not only for individual students and learners, but also for teachers, trainers and all others involved in education and training.
There are four sub-programmes which fund projects at different levels of education and training:
- Comenius for schools
- Erasmus for higher education
- Leonardo da Vinci for vocational education and training
- Grundtvig for adult education
Targets have been set for the four sub-programmes:
- Comenius should involve at least 3 million pupils in joint educational activities, over the period of the programme;
- Erasmus should reach a total of 3 million individual participants in student mobility actions since the programme began;
- Leonardo da Vinci should increase placements in enterprises to 80 000 a year by the end of the programme
- Grundtvig should support the mobility of 7 000 individuals involved in adult education a year by 2013.